Corjuem Fort, Goa
The Corjuem fortress is a small island fortress located at a distance of about 6 kms. from Aldona, in the Bardez taluka of North Goa. According to late Father Moreno de Souza the islands name originates from Khor as in khorik which means deep or lower and Zunvem which means island.
The Corjuem fort was constructed in the year 1551. The fort is a relatively small fort and is square shaped. The walls are wide and have numerous gun ports and murder holes. At each corner of the fort is a ramp like stair that leads to the ramparts. The fort has a well and a three room living quarters. Within the fort is also located a small chapel which seems to be a relatively new addition. This fort protected the Portuguese from the Marathas, Bhonsles and the Rane Rajputs in the nineteenth century. The chapel of St. Anthony was earlier known to have been in the Corjuem Fort. The fort has the distinction of being one of the only two inland that are surviving.The fort has become popular for its beauty and
The fort is surrounded by lush greenery and one can get a full view of beautiful villages and islands nearby. The fort is built out of pitted laterite stones. Corjuem is well connected with Aldona by a cable suspension bridge which is a major source of attraction as it is the only suspension bridge in Goa.