Chapora Fort, Goa
- Picnics at the beach
Chapora fort is located northern Goa overlooking the Vagator beach and lies at a distances of about 10 kms. from Mapusa. This fort is also known as Shahpura, which means 'town of Shah', was intended as a border watch post to oversee various Hindu raiders during the 17th century. The fort was built in 1612 and was besieged twice by Shivaji's son, Sambaji, in 1683 A.D. and Bhonsle in 1739 A.D. It was then occupied by the Portuguese in 1741 A.D. until the independence of Goa. During the Portugal rule, the fort was rebuilt and also had underground tunnels in order to help in an escape during a siege.
The Chapora fort is a very popular tourist attraction of Goa, being situated close to the Vagator beach. From the fort one can get a commanding view of the Vagator beach, Ozran Beach, Morjim Beach and the mouth of Chapora river. The shooting of the Hindi bollywood movie Dil Chahata Hai was at the fort also added to the forts popularity. The fort has wide walls with ramparts over which one can walk and go around the fort. The walls are lined with arrow slits, gun ports and murder holes at regular intervals.
The fort can be reached by road from Mapusa. To reach here one has to take the road branching to the right just two kilometers before the Vagator beach. A small road leads to the base of a hill atop which the fort lies. Tourists can also reach the fort by climbing the hill from Vagator beach.